Coming up with a business name for your startup is one of the most important steps of starting a business.
That's what they say. But it's not really true.
A lot of people get stuck for days, weeks or even months trying to find that perfect name with a "wow" effect.
This approach is a dead end.
Instead of concentrating on important things like figuring out if you can make money with your idea, you procrastinate by thinking about the stuff that's not that important.
✅Once you asked Aiden to help you come up with potential names, create a list of the ones you like.
✅Google the names and see what comes up - if it’s something that already producing a lot of results, you’ll struggle to rank organically.
✅Verify that the .com domain is available. It won't be easy or cheap for a short name, so play around with a longer name.
✅Check the social handles to see if they are available. And if not, check who has them to verify that they are not your direct competition.
When it comes to selecting a business name, it is important to find something that is memorable, but it's far more important to make sure it accurately represents the business. It should be something that people can easily pronounce and recognize when they hear it. It should also be something that conveys the message of your brand, product, or service.
The best approach is to brainstorm and develop a list of potential names, then narrow it down to a few that you like. Once you have a few final contenders, do some research to make sure the name is available (are you going to be able to buy a .com domain for it?) and doesn't conflict with an existing business (are you going to be able to google the name and not have hundreds of thousands of results for a very similar name pop up?).
Once you have a name that passes the test, you then need to think about how the name will look on your website and social media, and whether it will be easy for customers to remember. It's also important to think about how the name will affect the brand, and whether it will be a name that people will remember and associate with your business.
While it's important to think of a name that is catchy and memorable, it can be more important to think of a name that accurately represents the mission and values of the business, as well as conveys the message of the product or service. When it comes to naming a business, remember that the name is not the be-all and end-all. It is important to take the time to select a name that accurately represents the business, but more important is to focus on the big picture and ensure that the business can make money.
Key things to consider
Firstly, you should think about what your business does and what it stands for. This will help you to come up with a name that is relevant to your business and that will resonate with potential customers.
Secondly, you should consider the length of the name. A short, snappy name is more likely to be remembered than a long, complicated one.
Finally, you should think about the potential for confusion with other businesses. It is important to make sure that your business name is unique and not too similar to any other business names.
Once you have considered these factors, you can start to brainstorm potential business names.
Here are the top five ways to come up with a business name:
- Use a business name generator. There are a number of online tools that can help you to come up with potential business names. These tools usually ask you to enter some information about your business, such as the type of business, the industry, and the location, and then generate a list of potential names. AI-based tools are becoming more and more popular and if you haven't tried any yet, it's high time you did it. Check out a name generation tool that we have and play around with it. Click here to try Aiden.
- Brainstorm with friends and family. Ask your friends and family for their ideas and opinions on potential business names. This can be a great way to come up with a unique name that resonates with your target audience.
- Use a thesaurus. It can be a great tool for coming up with creative and unique business names. Look for words that are related to your business and then combine them to create a unique name.
- Look to your competitors. Take a look at the names of your competitors and see if there are any ideas that you can use. This can help to ensure that your business name stands out from the competition.
- Ask for help. If you’re still struggling to come up with a business name, don’t be afraid to ask for help. There are a number of professionals who specialize in coming up with business names, and they can be a great resource. Once you have come up with a business name, it is important to make sure that it is legally available. You should check with the relevant authorities to make sure that the name is not already registered by another business. You should also make sure that the name is not too similar to any other business names, as this could lead to confusion in the marketplace.